The city maps show the archive of geo-coded Flickr photos going back to 2005. Select a city from the dropdown, choose a date range and click Search. BEWARE, some searches will require a large download, so try limiting the range to a few months.
- Click on the points to display the photos under the cursor.
- In the 'Display' tab on the right you can select different basemaps to display roads and labels, adjust the basemap opacity, change the photo point size, and set the user path parameters.
- Use the 'Tags' tab to explore the geography of Flickr tags. When selecting multiple tags also choose 'Tags' from the 'Map' dropdown so that the photos are rendered by tag colour. To change the tag colours, click the coloured squares next to the tags on the left. Tags higher in the list will take precedence if a photo has more than one selected tag. Change the order by dragging the tags in the list. To remove all selected tags click 'Clear'. When a tag is selected you can see the related images under the 'Photos' tab.
- The 'Photos' tab displays either the images for the current tag, or those selected by clicking on the map. Select the view buttons to display the list of photos in different layouts.
- Select from the 'Map' dropdown to display the various metrics relating to each photo.
- The 'Timeline' controls can be used to filter the photos by date. Setting a small date range is effective for picking out events.
We recommend using the latest version of Chrome, FireFox, Opera, IE or Safari.
For more information contact Gavin Baily gavin[at]tracemedia.co.uk.
The project was developed using the Flickr API, Open Layers and Google Maps API.